Friday, November 17, 2023

Review: Flicker and Flame

Flicker and Flame Flicker and Flame by Willow Hayes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I got this book in an audio version for free off amazon prime. I grabbed it because it was a PNR and its blurb caught me as well as it having Troy Duran as a narrator.

For the Narration: I give it 3 stars, but really it should be 2. Mainly because Troy Duran as usual did a magnificent job. Unfortunatly this book is mainly in the POV of the MFC putting it up to the other narrator to slay the book. Which had the other narrator Stephanie Rose been the only one narrating I probably wouldn't have finished it. I don't know if it was just me, but she sounded very choppy / flat and robotic like for any character that isn't the MFC. Which made it hard to tell out of the 4 guys which one was interacting with Kenna unless I gave it my undivided attention. Which giving that attention was hard to do with the flat choppiness happening.

For the Story: This had some good world building happening within it. I enjoyed how the magic was done within this book, and how it was introducing various things.

The guys: As the story went on, I was getting more and more disappointed with how these characters were written. Since for the ages they were acting like they were 18 yr olds running a security company. In short there were flaws, and the author allowed some things to happen so unquestionably easily it just didn't add up.

Kenna: The main female character. She actually had a very stereotypical personality and backstory. And was even given the stereotypical hobby outlets to go along with it. In short I wasn't impressed with her. The story surrounding her was more interesting than her.

Other than that there was 1 thing that really stood out to me that made me question if I really wanted to finish the book. There is talk in the begining of the book with Kenna and her friend. Talking about the current queen and just randomly tips off hey you could be the so n so. (not stating it for spoiler purposes ). Like because up to that point there wasn't anything thing talking about that or anything, that was the most in your face forshadowing whats about to go down I have seen in a while. Which it did 100% give away what was happening next.

In the end this book had some unique things with in it that, I wouldn't be opposed to picking up the next book, however, I doubt I will grab the audio, because while I love listening to Troy Duran, if the book is mainly in the MFC pov it could be rough.

You can get a copy of this book HERE




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment