Thursday, November 9, 2023

Review: Hollow Beasts

Hollow Beasts Hollow Beasts by Alisa Lynn Valdes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



So I did really want to give this 4 stars, but there were a few things keeping me from that. Despite that I can say that I will likely pick up the next book.

When I grabbed this book it was because it fit the requirements for the kindle book mark for hispanic heritage month. At the time I was looking for a book with free kindle and audio option, so if it fell out of my normal reading preferences I could get through the book quicker.

I actually do like mystery thrillers though I don't read them as often as I used to. But thats not why we are here... my thoughts on this book.
For Naration: I did end up doing most of this book on audio. The narrator did well giving some hispanic feel with the voices and personalities. And this narrator was very easy to listen to. I think had I only been reading it, it would have taken longer because I would have likely sat the book down figuring I knew what was going to happen. If you find predictability to be an issue when checking out this book, I highly recommend grabbing the audio then to help you through it.

I loved the picture that was painted of the main characters and the town. It gave off enough authenticness to make you feel like you were there. I did enjoy the strong female characters. Specifically because while yes they are strong female leads the author did not make them perfect.

The plot with the bad guys I unfortunately feel like is something that was very predictable. Least wise it was predictable enough that I knew generally how the story would play out with at least the bad guys early on in the story. As far as minor details that involved them I didn't know till as I was reading, but generally how things were going to happen, it was predictable.
Some of the things mentioned in the story like the reason behind 2 females going to the bathroom wasn't really nessaray as it didn't do anything for the story. Just stateing that one wanted the other go to there would have given enough to tell what was about to happen.

once you get in those last 10 or so chapters you will get some surprises and some thrills with how things play out... again its the details you be looking for. And I did get a surprise with the two main female characters at the end.
This is a solid first book to a series, and how the world was developed in this book tells me that it is quite possible the next one will be even better.

For Naration: I did end up doing most of this book on audio. The narrator did well giving some hispanic feel with the voices and personalities. And this narrator was very easy to listen to. I think had I only been reading it, it would have taken longer because I would have likely sat the book down figuring I knew what was going to happen.
You can pick up a copy of this book HERE






View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment